January Challenge: Procrastination
Fabric: Silk for main fabric, Linen for center front and hemline, Cotton to line bodice.
Pattern: Ladies Dress from La Mode Illustree Date: April 7, 1912
Notions: Buttons, Grosgrain Ribbon, Cotton Crochet Collar – Still needs belt.
How Historically Accurate: Dress pattern/design is 100% accurate drafted from a vintage magazine. I’m not sure of the main fabric – it IS silk but has a twill-look weave to it. Due to time and budget constraints, I used buttons that are not necessarily accurate. The collar that is meant to be with this design is not complete (possibly the May challenge?), so I added a vintage cotton crochet collar from my stash.
Hours to Complete: Too many to calculate. This started four years ago as a project to test a pattern which had no directions or layout to go by. Fabric was purchased (so I thought) and not until the final step did I realize I needed more of the white linen fabric to finish the bottom hemline. I can’t believe how much white linen is out there and NONE matched up. Hence, with regret, this was relegated to my UFO tote. Timing wise, I would estimate 24-32 working hours.
First Worn: Not yet – this was made in the size presented in the magazine and is a bit small for me. I will probably donate this to a local theater for use in an upcoming production, or try to peel in on when I finish the proper corset for underneath.
Total Cost: Very little as fabric was purchased from an estate sale at $1 a yard. Story in next post.