Well it took a bit longer than expected but I am absolutely pleased with the results. After reworking the front bodice to accommodate the lace insertion techniques (Thank you Martha Pullen), I was ready to work on the rest of my slip. I needed to add a bit to the back to match the addition on the front so I added a scant 1/4 inch to each upper portion seam allowance, extending to about 1/2 inch at the waist, and left the hip measurement as is. I basically followed the directions for sewing the back together, although after attaching front to back at the shoulder seams, I opted to put the lace trim on the sleeve BEFORE I stitched the side seams together. This enabled me to do a very narrow french seam along the sides so the cut ends of the lace are secured inside. I finished the neckline edge with lace and ribbon so the top can be adjusted as needed, and a few buttons up the back, Yippee…
Next up – the flounce.
I cut the fabric as directed and stitched a narrow hem along the bottom. Next I cut off about 3 inches of the bottom and applied insertion lace between the two pieces. For the pleating I actually marked the bottom and top of the strip at regular intervals and folded each pleat over and basted in place. Then, as suggested by Theresa , I starched, and pressed, and starched some more (Thank you Theresa.. it really benefited from the extra starch). Once I was sure it would stay where I wanted, I applied insertion lace along the upper pleated portion and then attached the whole thing to the hem of the slip – well la-de-da, it really looks like a slip now.
My pleating isn’t nearly as trim as the pattern illustration, but then again, I’m not nearly as trim as the pattern illustration…
The Vintage Pattern Lending Library, Ladies Princess Slip #E0336, March 24, 1912
Pattern was listed as 36 inch bust. The measurements seem to be correct, although I adjusted the pattern to suit my shape.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on pattern envelope?
Yes, in regard to the main body of the slip, the pattern is dead on. The directions for the flounce called for 3 strips – 9 inches wide by 36 3/4. I think to get the pictured effect of all the tiny accordion pleats, a bit more fabric could have been used.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, although I didn’t follow them for applying the insertion lace. To sew a seam, add insertion, then rip out the seam, and then sew under the raw edges seemed a bit too time consuming. It may be the most authentic/period correct way to go about it but I used a machine method as described in my previous post. I would also have liked to see more thorough directions for the back closure. Not an issue for a more advanced sewer, but it may present a problem with a novice.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
On a scale of 1 to 5 – this is a FIVE – I loved it! I especially loved the fact that with a bit of imagination, it was so easy to modernize.
Fabric Used – White Cotton Lawn
Pattern alterations/design changes I made
I needed to adjust the pattern to accommodate my larger frame, and I added sets of tucks along the upper bust.
In conclusion, this was a fun pattern and I adore the fact that a few in our talented group went with a shorter, wearable dress version. I would recommend this to a sewer of any skill level. For the more advanced, it’s a great pattern to perfect some skills and for a novice, a wonderful canvas to learn with.
Next adventure – The Afternoon Tea Wrap, and hopefully, a hat for Kim.